Thursday, January 13, 2011
The Devil Wears Prada: Plagues
So I was going through my Zune (yes I said ZUNE... not IPOD) yesterday, looking for something I hadn't heard in a while... and there they were. Ahhh... can I just say how much I love this band? Why yes... yes I can... because this is MY blog ;)
So this wasn't just a band of the week for me. These guys were a steamy love affair with my ears for quite some time. I was fortunate enough to see them while on tour for this album with an a amazing line up (you might want to be sitting down for this), Saosin and Underoath! So I enjoyed everything they've put out, but Plagues definitely their best work. I'm so particular about clean vocals in Hardcore. So many times the melody just doesn't match the song. But hey, what do you expect from a bunch of metalheads? There's no excuse! It was also one of the bands that did scream harmonizing well in the beginning.
It's pretty awesome where keyboards have fit into metal. We've all heard that Scandinavian metal with weird ambient keyboard use... eh... it only goes so far. Even bands that I love like Children of Bodom, at times I've questioned the presence of the keyboard. The Devil Wears Prada have hit the nail right on the head. Perfect accentuation of break downs, and who doesn't love the sound of that arpeggiator?!!
So I'm pretty sure anyone who listens to newer metal is familiar with the whole "Punk Goes..." series. This has been both good and bad. But throughout everyone of those albums, I can say with certainty that their cover song is the best. They do a cover of "Still Fly" a classic rap song. I did find the lyrical editing towards the end hard to "sing" along to in the beginning, being familiar with the song prior to the cover. But hey, They are just being good Christian kids. I could totally go off into a rant about "Christian Metal" but I think I'll save that for a different post (you're welcome). The song is done so well, where they've put in their own style to it, unlike some of the others that are merely the band doing someone else's song, they made it their own. Just in case you would like to know, August Burns Red Cover of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" comes in close second ;)
"I'm gonna hope for you,
I'm gonna pray for you,
Amongst the reckless and the black.
Salvation lies within.
I'm gonna hope for you,
I'm gonna pray for you,
Amongst the reckless and the black.
My time is yours, my friend"
Check out their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/tdwp
P.S.
Let's hope that Eurotour with them and Bring Me the Horizon and Parkway Drive makes it's way to the states ***cross your fingers***
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm not going to click on your ads if you don't post on your blog! ;P
ReplyDelete-Amber