Monday, January 10, 2011

What's your Core?


What's your Core?

What's your core?  Long ago in the genre of punk, there was a band called Guttermouth.  They had an interesting approach to the topic.  It was all punk, why was it so divided?  "I want to be unusual, I want to be punk rock."  It seems Metal has taken this same turn.  I also think that it's interesting that quite a bit of Metal is referred to as a "core" which is taken directly from punk.  The evolution is astounding.  So we have punk, which evolved into the whole straight edge and hardcore scenes.  And somehow or another we ended up and Deathcore and Grindcore.  So I was talking with some buddies the other day, and exchanging information about different bands that we thought the others would like.  The whole description was described by core.  "Dude... it's got like Grindcore vocals, Shredcore guitars mixed with melodic metal, and way too heavy on those Deathcore blast beats."   I'm pretty sure there was a time when we compared one band to another.  I love the fact that no one can have these conversations without getting into a semi heated argument about what band falls into which core.  It's all in good fun though.  I feel like a all those Jewish guys on fiddler on the roof arguing about what the good book say... "it says something about the chicken!"  I say, if it sounds good go with it.  I love these rants I hear on Youtube about, "that band is pussy, they couldn't possibly be Deathcore... only girls listen to them."  Well for one, it may not be the worst thing to have some chicks at your shows.  I'll bet they score more than you ;)  The second thing is, why is it so important to fit into this tiny little genre?  If you can rock out to it, more power to you.  Besides, what are the chances you listen to your new favorite band so many times because they're the next big, that you'll be sick of them in a month or two and possibly forget they exist?  Probably pretty good.  I guess I can only speak for myself, but my taste in music is constantly evolving. 

Aw... the old days of the genre.  It was either Metal or Rock.

1 comment:

  1. I listened and I really couldn't understand a word of it.
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete